Tuesday, July 24, 2007

my thoughts but John Mayer said them. weird.


so i think that everyone has seen the commercials by Lexus talking about the Mark Levingston audio system. a couple of music celebs have done the adds. something always seemed odd about the ad. i found it through Mayer's words. here is.


RUMINATIONS ON A TREADMILL


Here's some stuff I was thinking about on the treadmill today. I don't bring my iPod to the gym anymore. I can't really explain it except to say that there's something unsatisfying about it. The songs kind of drill into my ear when I'm working out and I can't concentrate on the parts of the music I want to. (I told you I couldn't really explain it.)

1.) Chris Rock came by the Comedy Cellar last night and KILLED IT. I have to say that watching Chris do an hour of brand-new material in front of 45 people on a Sunday night seems tantamount to Miles Davis slipping into a supper club and playing a few ballads with the house band. Watching someone create like that in front of you - especially at the level that Chris Rock can - is just plain badass. I won't be the guy to try and regurgitate someone's comedy to make my point. Just trust me when I say the new stuff is hilarious. The world needs a new hour from Chris Rock to set us all straight, I can tell you that.
After his set, I committed the cardinal sin around comedians, called "try and make the funny guy laugh". I did not make the funny guy laugh, and in fact, made a fool out of myself in the process. Who knew he was coming by and that I was going to have so many Jack and Dianes... (my new name for Jack and Diet...)

2.) I just saw a commercial for Lexus featuring Elvis Costello, and as I like to pay attention to my reactions when I'm being sold something, I thought this was an interesting one. Here's the order of impressions made on me.
a. Oh look, there's Elvis Costello.
b. Man, that guy looks cool. I hope I look that cool someday.
c. How old is he? He's just plain cool. And it's got nothing to do with age. I'd like my cool to have nothing to do with age.
d. Do you just decide to do that and you can? I hope so. I'm deciding right now to be that cool.
e. He's talking about Beethoven. Interesting.
f. He's in a Lexus. Cool looking car.
g. Oh, it's a Lexus ad, centered on the stereo system.
h. THAT STEREO SYSTEM SOUNDS GREAT, I BET.

Two things here interest me - number one, at no time during the commercial did I have the response of "Oh, look, Elvis Costello got paid to do a Lexus commercial. Times must be tough!" The words "sell-out", "shill", "hock" also never came to mind. Just how cool I thought Elvis Costello was and how that stereo system looks like it sounds great. And that's where number two comes in. How difficult must it be - and subsequently how impressive is it - to sell a sound to you over a TV commercial? The car looks like it smells like brand-new upholstery and that stereo looks like it sounds great. Elvis looks cool, the car looks cool, and everybody goes away happy. Maybe I'll re-think my stance on things...


okay. well i think that sums it up. had band practice last night. Brian and I and the new guitar player Vince and his friend Mike. Mike was okay. to be honest, the whole band just does not feel right. Shawn will be a hard guitar player for me to get over. he played what i wanted to hear. he played on what i liked to imagine myself playing on. it makes me glad to be a drug free person but harder to figure out what you can do for someone who has chemical issues. i don't see there being anyway to talk to him and all of a sudden be able to clean him up. i am about ready to move on but i hate to give up because it is so hard to start something. i have been listening to a lot of Jazz. Coltrane, Redman, Dizzy, Max Roach and Brandford to be exact and it is hard for me to not want to start somethign in that field but for me jazz is only enjoyable for a while. i wouldn't want to start something and then want to bail when i get tired of jazz. i would last longer with the blues. for me that seems to be what i always go back to.maybe not in the traditional sense of Buddy Guy or guys like that, but in some way or another. to me an ideal set up would be, Shawn drug free and on guitar, Bill Deshone on upright, Jeff on sax and me on kit. i would definatley be the weak link on the band with the talent of those musicians on those instruments. i would be coattail riding on that experience no doubt.

No comments: